My life

The title says it all. This is about my life. :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

Saturday, July 23, 2005

First post!

I started this blog exclusively to write about my life as a single mom. I will write about the wonderful and horrible times I have with my children. Raising two VERY active children is not a piece of cake and I feel I need a place where I can rave and rant.

A summary of what we would need to know..

I am a divorced mother of two young children. One boy, Alexander Xavier, turning six on December 30th. One girl, Savannah Sky, turned four on June 30th. Alex will be entering the first grade and Sky will be starting Junior Kindergarten this September.

Since Alex was in JK, he would not speak in school. It turns out that it is common with children who knows more than two languages. They may feel close to the parent who uses different language and feels like it would be betraying them if they spoke english. Or they simply do not feel comfortable using english in front of so many students especially if their first language is not english. Alex is a very shy boy but when you get to know him, you will find that he is a very michevious child. His eyes twinkle when he has something up his sleeve. He has also become "mouthy" meaning he talks back. A lot of people are quite puzzled when they find out this little smart aleck refuses to talk in school. Towards the end of Senior Kindergarten, he finally started talking to a select few friends but no adults. I'm hoping he'll feel comfortable enough to talk in grade 1 since it is required.

Now on to Sky. For those who knows her, thinks she is a lot like me. Fiercely independent and she will not take any crap from anyone no matter what. She will argue until she's blue in the face if she believes she is right. She already has an attitude and those who gets on her bad side will feel it. She is also a very socializing child. She likes to have many friends to play with unlike her older brother. She got involved with gymnastics at the age of 3 and ballet a little later. I predict she will be alright in school since she already had experiences meeting other children and that helps her socializing skills.

One very interesting thing I have noticed about both children. Alex is more fluent in ASL than Sky. Sky is more fluent in spoken english than Alex. (Both are hearing obviously) I realized that it is probably because Alex was the first child so he got all the attention from me and his father. Sky was the second child so she got the most attention from Alex since they are just one year and half apart. Don't get me wrong, Sky can sign well, she just talks more than she can sign. Once my mom had my uncle, aunt and cousins over, Sky decided to tell a story about the goldlicks and three bears. It really surprised everyone because she actually memorized the whole story and at the age of three.

I will be adding various experiences from time to time. I'm hoping this would help me get a fresh view on how I am raising my own children since it's hard to watch myself in action. I expect to make a lot of mistakes but I hope that I am able to catch them and change my ways if needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home